London Bus Route 403 - Warlingham - Hamsey Green - Sanderstead - South Croydon - West Croydon. (7 Miles)
Operated By: Go Ahead London: Metrobus
Garage: Croydon C Past Timetables: Dec 2000
, Oct 2004
To View The Current Timetable Click Here Route History:
- 1st December 1924 the route 403 began and was operated by East Surrey Transport, after a couple of years in 1932 the operation of the route was transferred to General Buses which then became London Transport up until 1969.
- A Sunday Service was introduced on the 15th June 1968.
- From the 1st July 1970 the route was transferred to London Country Operation from their Chesham Garage.
- On the 3rd July 1971 the current routing of the 403 was providing a link between Wallington and Warlingham Park Hospital (Via Croydon, Sanderstead, Chelsham)
- 9th August 1986 - the current routing of the 403 operated by London Country was Cheam Village, Sutton, Carshalton, or Wallington Shotfield (M‑Sat), Croydon Road, Waddon, Croydon, Sanderstead, Warlingham, Chelsham (Sun a.m.) – Warlingham Park Hospital (M‑Sat/Sun p.m.). The route was operated by atlantean's. In Peak hours the route used 16 Buses to fulfil the route.
- On the 28th October 1989 the route was transferred to South London buses at South Croydon Garage (TC) by Leyland Olympians (L). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 15L+1L/50, Saturday 11L and Sunday 5L.
- On the 31st August 1991 the route was withdrawn between Croydon and Cheam, so the current route ran from West Croydon to Warlingham Park Hospital. The PVR was decreased to 13L+1L/50 Monday to Friday, 9L Saturday and 5L Sunday which stayed the same.
- By the 29th October 1994 London and Country were operating the route, (which were also known as London Links a few years later). They operated the 403 from their Croydon Garage (CR), using ON type buses, the current PVR was Monday to Friday 10ON, Saturday 9ON and Sunday 3ON.
- Five years later on the 30th October 1999 Arriva London won the contract for the 403 and they operated the route from their Beddington Garage (BF) using Leyland Olympians, the route now went from West Croydon to Chelsham Common. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 9L, Saturday 8L and Sunday 5L.
- A Year later on the 16th December 2000 the route was withdrawn between Warlingham Sainsbury's and Chelsham Common.
- As Part of the 403's new contract which commenced from the 30th October 2004 the route 403 was converted to low floor double decker operation in fact it was one of the last routes serving Croydon to Receive this (Current PVR Monday to Friday 9DW, Saturday 8DW and Sunday 5DW.
- On The 31st October 2009 Arriva gained a two year extension on the 403. The contract was renewed with Arriva for another five years on the 29th October 2011 and the allocation was transferred to South Croydon Garage (TC) due to the closure of Beddington. Arriva then gained another 2 year extension in 2016 with Arriva.
- On the 27th October 2018 Arriva lost the contract to Go Ahead London (Metrobus) using Enviro 400's from existing routes and was now based at Croydon Garage (C). The Current PVR is 7E (Mon-Sat) and Sunday's 4E.