London Bus Route 405 - Redhill - Merstham - Coulsdon - Purley - Pampisford Road - South Croydon - Croydon. (11 Miles)
Operated By: Arriva London
Garage: South Croydon TC
Past Timetables: Aug 2003
, Nov 2004
, Sep 2006
To View The Current Timetable Click Here Route History:
- The 405 began many years ago and was not part of the London bus network as it was operated by London Country and gave a connection between Crawley and West Croydon (Via Redhill).
- On the 21st April 2001, Connex gained the contract for the 405 and the route joined the TFL bus network which they operated at their Beddington garage (BC). The 405 was also withdrawn between Redhill & Crawley. The route was converted to low floor operation as part of the new contract. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 5PDL and Sunday 3PDL.
On the 20th August 2003 Connex lost the contract to Metrobus along with Arriva’s routes 130 and 466. Metrobus operated the route from their Crawley Garage (CY). The 405 was slightly re-routed to serve Pampisford Road in the South Croydon area. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 7DT and Sunday 4DT. On the 16th April 2005 the operation was transferred to Godstone Garage (GD). On the 24th February 2006 the operation transferred to Croydon Garage (C) due to the closure of Godstone Garage.
- On the 22nd April 2006 the operation was transferred back to Crawley (CY) Garage. Throughout October 2006, the 405 was gradually converted to double deck operation using a new batch of Scania omnidecka’s. The current PVR was Monday To Saturday 7SC & Sunday 5SC.On the 2nd September 2007, School Journey’s began to operate on the 405, which were introduced too operate between Croydon & Purley using an ex 403 bus (Arriva).
- On the 30th August 2008, the 405 allocation was transferred to Croydon (C). There was also a slight change of frequency, Monday to Friday now using 9SC, Saturday 8SC & Sunday 5SC.
- On the 29th October 2011, the Arriva School journey’s on the 405, which was previously were a joint allocation of the 403, was now transferred to South Croydon Garage (TC), using an ex 197 bus instead. Go Ahead Metrobus gained another contract renewal from the 29th August 2015 with a current PVR 10SC (Mon-Sat) and Sunday 5SC (+ 1 Arriva Double Decker for School Journeys).
- On the 2nd November 2019 due to cuts by TFL the 405 was cut back between West Croydon and Croydon (Katherine Street) Except from the school journeys which Arriva Operate.