London Bus Route 499 - Gallows Corner, Tesco - Heaton Avenue - Grange Road - Hilldene Avenue - Harold Hill - North Hill Drive - Lower Bedfords Road - Chase Cross - Pettits Lane - Romford - Oldchurch Road - then in a loop via Crow Lane, Becontree Heath, Heath Park Estate to Oldchurch Hospital and back to Gallows Corner (8 Miles).
Operated By Stagecoach London
Garage: Romford NS Past Timetables: April 2003
, Oct 2005
To View The Current Timetable Click Here Route History:
- The Route 499 was introduced on the 18th July 1994 and provided a link between Romford North Garage & Romford Parkside Hotel, (via Western Road, Romford Station & Becontree Heath). The route was only enforced Monday to Friday between 10am and 3pm using 1 Midi Bus from North Street Garage (NS).
- A couple of years later on the 19th July 1997 a Saturday service was introduced using 1DAL for the Saturday service. On the 24th June 2000, the 499 was re-routed in the Becontree Heath area to serve some newer roads.
- A year later on the 28th July 2001 with a demand for the Saturday service the frequency was increased to two buses per hour. The current PVR was Monday To Friday 1Midi (Ex247) & Saturday 2SLD Buses.
- On the 20th July 2002, Stagecoach lost the contract to First which they operated the route from their Rainham Garage (R). The 499 was also extended on this date to serve Gallows Corner Tesco also now including a Sunday service. The current routing was at this date, Gallows Corner Tesco, Colchester Road, Gallows Corner, Grange Road, Straight Road, Glenton Way, Petits Lane, Main Road, Mercury Gardens, Western Road, South Street, Romford Station, Oldchurch Hospital then circular via Crow Lane, Becontree Heath, Wood Lane, Marston Avenue, Heath Park Estate, Rainham Road North, Wood Lane, Rush Green Road and return to Gallows Corner Tesco. The current PVR was Monday To Sunday 3DMS.
- On The 15th October 2005, the 499 was again re-routed at Harold Hill (Via North Hill Drive) Instead of a direct route (Via Straight Road).
- The contract was yet again up for tender on the 4th July 2009 which First lost to Arriva, which they now operate the route from their Grays Garage (GY), they also allocated some brand new enviro 200’s to the 499. The current PVR is 4E200 Monday To Sunday.
- On the 27th April 2013, the 499 was re-routed at Queens Hospital via Oldchurch Rise.
- On the 27th June 2015, Arriva lost the contract to Stagecoach London which operated the route from Romford Garage (NS), they also allocated a new batch of Enivro 200 MMC's to the route, current PVR Mon-Sat 7DE & Sun 4DE.