London Bus Route 119 [24 Hour: Daily] - Bromley North - Hayes - West Wickham - Shirley - East Croydon - Warham Road - Purley Way, Colonnades. (11 Miles)
Operated By: Go Ahead London: Metrobus
Garage: Croydon C Past Timetables: May 1969
, April 1983
, April 1985
, Nov 1993
, August 2003
, Nov 2003
To View The Current Timetable Click Here History:
- The route 119 began on the 9th August 1939, and provided a link between Bromley North and Croydon (Barclay Rd). The 119 was operated from Bromley Garage (TL) Using 5 Buses Per Day.
- In October 1950, a new RTW type was introduced to the route, current PVR was Monday to Saturday 12RTW and Sunday 13RTW.
- By early May 1951 the RTW type was withdrawn and replaced by RT type buses.
- On the 10th May 1961 the Monday to Friday peaks were extended from Croydon to Thornton Heath Garage, but it did seem to go the long way round Waddon and Purley Way. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 14RT, Saturday 11RT and Sunday 6RT.
- On the 9th May 1962 the route was extended again Monday to Friday peaks from Thornton Heath Garage to Thornton Heath High Street. The Saturday PVR was increased to 12RT.
- By late January 1964 the 119 ran to West Croydon bus station at all times, so the route was Bromley North Station to West Croydon, Monday to Friday peaks Bromley North Station to Thornton Heath High Street. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 13RT, Saturday 12RT and Sunday 5RT.
- On the 31st October 1970 the Saturday and Sunday service was withdrawn and replaced by routes 119A and 119B. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 13RT.
- By May 1976 the RT type was withdrawn and replaced by Routemasters (RM). The current PVR was 15RM.
- October 1978 the route was extended from West Croydon to Thornton Heath at all times. The Saturday service was back in action on the 119 this was because the 119A was withdrawn. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 16RM and Saturday 11RM.
- On the 16th October 1984 the Routemasters were withdrawn and replaced by Titan Crew operation. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 13Tc and Saturday 9Tc.
- In late April 1985 the Sunday service was back on the 119 due to the withdrawal of the 119B. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 14T, Saturday 13T and Sunday 6T. The route was joint up with the 138.
- By the end of July 1989 the joint allocation with the 138 was withdrawn, the current PVR was Monday to Friday 11T, Saturday 10T and Sunday 7T.
- On the 14th March 1992 the Sunday service was joint up with routes 198* and 166* and the 119 was withdrawn between West Croydon and Thornton Heath. The route was now under the operation called Selkent. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 12T, Saturday 9T and Sunday 13T*.
- On the 30th June 1996 the route was re-routed to Croydon Airport instead of West Croydon. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 11T, Saturday 7T and Sunday 13T. On the 29th August 1998 Selkent lost the contract to Metrobus. The route was operated at Orpington Garage (MB). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 13DD, Saturday 12DD and Sunday 8DD. By 2003 the 119 was converted to Low floor double deck using Omnidekka’s (OD).
- In December 2007, the operation was transferred to Croydon (C) Garage with existing buses. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 16ON, Sat 16ON and Sunday 9ON.
- In August 2010, Metrobus retained the contract for the 119, using existing buses.
- Five years later in August 2015, Go Ahead London (Metrobus) retained the contract for the 119 with a brand new batch of buses. The current PVR, 16WHV Mon-Sat and Sunday 9WHV.