London Bus Route 181 - Grove Park - Downham - Bellingham - Lower Sydenham - Catford - Lewisham Statione. (7 Miles)
Operated By Stagecoach London
Garage: Kangley Bridge Road KB
Past Timetables: Jan 2004
, May 2005
To View The Current Timetable Click Here History:
- The 181 began on the 27th April 1984 and was introduced due to the withdrawal of route 180 between Catford and Lower Sydenham. The 181 operated between Lewisham and Lower Sydenham. The route was operated at Catford garage (TL). The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 4LS.
- On the 3rd August 1985 the Monday to Saturday service was extended from Lewisham from Surrey Docks. This was replacing the withdrawn section of the P5. A Sunday service was introduced between Lewisham and Lower Sydenham. The current route was Surrey Docks Station (Monday-Saturday) – Lewisham Bus Station (Sunday) – Lower Sydenham. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 6LS and Sunday 2LS.
- On the 6th June 1987 there was a few changes to the route of the 181, Rotherhithe Tunnel (Mon-Sat except evenings) – Surrey Docks Stn (Mon-Sat) – Lewisham Bus Stn (Sun) – Bellingham. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 8LS, Saturday 7LS and Sunday LS ex 108B.
- On the 29th July 1989 the route was withdrawn between Lewisham and Rotherhithe this section was replaced by route 225. The route was also converted to Midibus operation. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 6SR and Sunday SR ex 160. By the 3rd February 1990 the route was the Sunday service was now joint with the 108B instead of the 160.
- On the 19th January 1991 the route was re-routed southbound at Hither Green via Springbank Road. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 7SR/MW and Sunday 2SR/MW.
- By the 12th February 1994 the contract was transferred to Kentish Bus and they operated the route from Lewisham Garage (LM). There was a slight route change as it was re-routed at Bellingham to Downham instead. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 6Midi and Sunday 4Midi.
- On the 25th February 1995 the allocation was transferred to Edison Rd Garage (BE) which was near Bromley. On the 4th November 1995 the allocation was transferred back to Lewisham (LM).
- On the 27th January 1996 the contract was awarded to Metrobus and they operated the route from Orpington (MB). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 8SD, Saturday 7SD and Sunday 4SD.
- On the 17th March 2001, Stagecoach gained the contract for the 181 using new low floor single deckers and was operated at Catford Garage (TL). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 9SLD, Saturday 8SLD and Sunday 8SLD.
- On the 18th March 2006, Metrobus gained back the contract from Stagecoach with brand new esteem's and they extended the route from Downham to Grove Park. Metrobus operated the route from their Polhill Garage (PH). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 11SD, Saturday 10SD and Sunday 7SD.
- On 3rd June 2006 the allocation was transferred back to Orpington (MB). In March 2011, Metrobus renewed the contract for the 181 using existing buses
- On the 17th March 2018, Metrobus lost the contract to Stagecoach London at there new garage Kangley Bridge (KB) and the route is now operated by a brand new batch of buses. The current PVR is Monday to Sunday 13SE.