London Bus Route 289 - Purley - Waddon - Croydon University Hospital - West Croydon - Addiscombe - Elmers End Station (9 Miles).
Operated By Arriva London
Garage: Thornton Heath TH Past Timetables: July 1982
, Sep 1982
, Feb 2000
, Sep 2005
To View The Current Timetable Click Here History:
- The 289 began on the 15th June 1968 and provided a Monday to Friday service between Thornton Heath Garage and Addiscombe (The Black Horse Pub) using 4 RT Buses.
- In October 1970 a Saturday serviced was introduced which partly replaced the withdrawn section of the 50. On this the date the route was converted to single deck operation using SMS's (M-F 4 SMS) and S (3 SMS)
- On the 23rd March 1974 the route was extended from the Addiscombe Black Horse to Elmers End Green. The allocation of the route was increased to 5 SMS Monday to Friday and 4 SMS Saturday.
- Four years later on the 28th October 1978 the 289 was extended again to serve Beckenham Junction and the route operation was transferred to Elmers End Bus Garage (ED). Later on that year the SMS buses were replaced by Leyland National's (LS). The current PVR was also increased to 7LS Monday to Saturday.
- In April 1981 the 289 was extended to Purley, Monday to Friday except evenings, so the evening and Saturday buses terminated at Croydon Airport.
- On the 27th April 1985 the 289 was withdrawn between Elmers End & Beckenham Junction. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 9LS and Saturday 7LS.
- A year later on October 1986 due to the closure of Elmers End Garage the allocation was changed to South Croydon (TC), and a decrease in the Saturday frequency down to 5LS.
- In February 1987 the operation was transferred to London Country from Chelsham Garage (CM). using a mixture of single deck buses. A few years later in 1991 the 289 was Extended to serve between Croydon Airport and Purley All day and the operation was transferred to Croydon Garage (CR).
- On the 30th October 1993 a Sunday PM Service was introduced between Purley and West Croydon, due to the operation being a success a year on a full sunday service was introduced in October 1994.
- In Feb 1995, London Links gained the contract for the 289, the current PVR was Monday to Friday 7SD + 2DD, Saturday 8SD and Sunday 2SD.
- On the 2nd September 2000 it was a the start of a new contract for the 289 by Arriva using brand new low floor single deck buses (PDL's). The operation was transferred to Beddington Farm (CN). The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 9PDL and Sunday 7PDL.
- Arriva Retained the contract five years later in September 2005, using the existing fleet of buses Plus 2 Double Decker journey's. A couple of years later in March 2007 the 289 was transferred to Thornton Heath Garage (TH) The current PVR was Monday to Friday 10PDL/DDL, Saturday 9PDL/DDL and Sunday 9PDL/DDL.
- On the 5th Feb 2011, the 289 was withdrawn between Elmers End Station and Elmers End Green due to a new bus station being constructed. A year later in September 2012 Arriva renewed the contract for the 289 using a brand new fleet of Enviro 200's The current PVR is Monday to Friday 10ENX, Sat 9ENX and Sunday 9ENX. In September 2017 the 289 was re-routed not to serve the loop at Sainsbury's Purley Way.