London Bus Route 50 - Croydon Town Centre - Thornton Heath - Norbury - Streatham - Clapham Common - Stockwell (9 Miles).
Operated By Arriva London
Garage: Brixton BN Past Timetables: 1971
, Sep 1982
, Feb 1987
, Aug 2003
, Aug 2008
To View The Current Timetable Click Here
- The route 50 began before the 7th January 1951, and provided a Monday to Saturday peak hour service between Streatham Hill and The Embankment. The route was operated a joint allocation from Brixton Garage (BN) and Clapham Garage (CA) by RT and RTL type buses. The current PVR was Monday to Friday Peaks, 3RT from BN and 7RTL from CA, Saturday peaks 4RT from BN and 2RTL from CA.
- In October 1956 the Saturday Clapham allocation was withdrawn.
- A year on the 16th October 1957 the Saturday service was withdrawn also with the allocation at CA. The route was also revised to run Monday to Friday between Addiscombe Black Horse and Stockwell Station. Monday to Friday peaks ran from Addiscombe via Stockwell to the Embankment. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 12RT. By the end of November 1958 the Saturday service was introduced again, but only between Addiscombe and Stockwell. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 12RT and Saturday 10RT.
- During May 1963 the RT type buses were withdrawn and replaced by RTL’s. The Monday to Friday PVR was increased to 13RTL and Saturday stayed the same.
- On the 29th January 1964 the 50 was ithdrawn between Vauxhall and the Embankment instead diverted to Victoria Station, it was now full time running to Addiscombe (Mon-Sat) The 50 was also transferred to Streatham Garage (AK) on this date.
- In December 1966, the route was withdrawn between Stockwell and Victoria except from Monday to Friday peaks. A new Allocation was introduced from Thornton Heath Garage (TH). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 7RT from TH and AK and Saturday 9RT from BN.
- On the 15th June 1968 there was more changes to the route of the 50, Addiscombe (Sat)- Streatham Garage (M-F)- Stockwell (M-S)- Victoria (M-F peaks). The Monday to Friday service between Streatham Garage and Addiscombe was withdrawn due to a new route 289 which replaced part of the Croydon section of the 50. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 11RT from BN and Saturday 9RT from AK.
- On the 19th July 1969 the AK allocation was withdrawn this was replaced by a full time BN allocation. On the 31st October 1970 the Saturday service was withdrawn. Monday to Friday ran from Streatham Garage to Stockwell and Monday to Friday peaks ran from Streatham Garage to Victoria.
- On the 24th July 1971 a Monday to Sunday service was introduced, the route was converted to one person operation which was operated by DMS type buses. The route was revised again, Monday to Saturday ran from Stockwell Station to Croydon and Sunday from Stockwell Station to Thornton Heath High Street. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 9DMS and Sunday 3DMS.
- On the 4th September 1982 the Sunday service was withdrawn, the route now operated between Stockwell Station to Croydon Monday to Saturday. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 9DMS.
- Later in October 1984 the DMS type buses were replaced by Metrobuses (M).
- On the 7th February 1987 the BN allocation was withdrawn and was replaced by AK, the current PVR was Monday to Friday 9M.
- On the 14th May 1988 the route was extended from Croydon to Old Coulsdon and withdrawn between Stockwell and Streatham. The route now ran from Monday to Saturday from Streatham Garage to Old Coulsdon a Monday to Saturday and a South Croydon allocation was introduced. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 5L/M from AK and 6D/L and Saturday 10D/L from TC. There were more PVR changes in November Monday to Friday 10D/L from TC and Saturday 6D/L from TC and 5L/M from AK.
- On the 28th October 1989 there were more PVR changes, Monday to Friday 10L/M from AK and 1D/L from TC, Saturday 10L/M from AK. On the 21st July 1990 a Sunday service was introduced. The AK allocation was withdrawn and replaced by TH. The route ran from Streatham St Leonard’s Church to Old Coulsdon daily. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 10L from TH and 1D/L from TC, Saturday 10L from TH and Sunday 6L from TH. Later in June 1991 the route was withdrawn between Streatham St Leonard’s Church and Streatham Garage.
- On the 9th October 1993 the TH allocation was withdrawn and was replaced by TC. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 11L/M, Saturday and Sunday 10L/M.
- On the 29th August 1998 the contract was transferred to Arriva London South, and was withdrawn between South Croydon and Old Coulsdon, this was replaced by route 60. The route now operated between Streatham Garage and South Croydon. The current PVR was now Monday to Friday 6L/M, Saturday 7L/M and Sunday 5L/M.
- On the 25th October 2003 the 50 was converted to low floor double deckers. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 10LFDD and Sunday 7LFDD.
- On the 30th August 2008 the contract got renewed with Arriva London, but there was a slight change to the route as the 50 was extended from Streatham Hill Station to Stockwell Station (via Clapham Common), the 50 was extended to replace the withdrawn section of route 255.
- On the 31st March 2012, the 50 was transferred to operate from Brixton Garage (BN), the current PVR was Monday to Saturday 14DW and Sunday 8DW.
- Arriva retained the 50 on the 26th August 2017 using existing fleet of vehicles from Brixton Garage. The current PVR is Monday to Saturday 15DW and Sunday 9DW.