London Bus Route 64 [24 Hour: Daily] - New Addington, Vulcan Way - Homestead Way - New Addington Tram Stop - King Henry's Drive - Headley Drive - Fieldway - Addington Village - Selsdon - Croham Valley - East Croydon - West Croydon - Thornton Heath Pond. (8 Miles)
Operated By Arriva London
Garage: Thornton Heath TH Past Timetables: Sep 1982
, Aug 2002
To View The Current Timetable Click Here History:
- On the 3rd October 1934 the route 64 was introduced to operate between, West Croydon Station and Selsdon (via Croham Road & Farley Road) on a daily service (Monday to Sunday) Operated from South Croydon Garage (TC).
- A couple of years later in 1936 the 64 was extended from Selsdon to Addington, the current PVR was Monday to Friday 8ST, Saturday 6ST and Sunday 4STL.
- A Sunday service RT operated was allocated to the 64 from the October 1949, eight months later in May 1950 the Monday to Saturday service was replaced by RT Type to make the route fully converted. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 10RT, Sat 9RT & Sun 6RT.
- On the 4th March 1959, there were some changes to the routing of the 64. The route Monday to Saturday evenings, and also Sunday’s ran between Addington and West Croydon Station. On Monday’s to Saturday’s (except evenings) the route was extended to Elmers End Garage (via Selhurst Road, Norwood Junction and Anerley). The route Monday to Friday School journeys was also extended to Eden Park Station. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 16RT, Saturday 11RT and Sunday 3RT. This extension was put into force to help out routes 154 and 157.
- On the 8th July 1959, the extension of the 64 was withdrawn so the route was back to normal West Croydon to Addington the 194 replaced the withdrawn section. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 13RT, Saturday 8RT and Sunday 4RT.
- On the 20th July 1960 the 64 was extended from West Croydon to Wimbledon Stadium (via Mitcham). This extension was put into place as part of the 630 trolleybus withdrawal. The 64's allocation was now joint with Elmers End (ED) and South Croydon (TC). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 15RT (TC) 7RM (ED), Saturday 12RT (TC) 7RM (ED) and Sunday 6RT (TC) 4RM (ED).
- By the 10th May 1961 the 64 was withdrawn between Tooting Broadway and Wimbledon Stadium. The current route now operated between Addington and Tooting. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 14RT (TC) 7RM (ED), Saturday 10RT (TC) 7RM (ED) and Sunday 4RT (TC) 5RM (ED). On the 9th May 1962, the Elmers End allocation was withdrawn and transferred to Thornton Heath (TH). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 14RT (TC) 7RM (TH), Saturday 10RT (TC) 7RM (TH) and Sunday 4RT (TC) 3RM (TH).
- On the 29th January 1964 South Croydon (TC) introduced a routemaster type at weekends and also the Sunday Thornton Heath (TH) allocation was withdrawn. Later on in September 1964 South Croydon then introduced a Monday to Sunday routemaster operation.
- On the 18th November 1964 the Sunday service 64 was withdrawn between West Croydon and Tooting Broadway. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 15RM (TC) 5RM (TH), Saturday 11RM (TC) 4RM (TH) and Sunday 3RM (TC).
- On the 23rd January 1966 the Sunday service was re-introduced between Croydon and Tooting, and then Sunday South Croydon (TC) allocation was transferred to Thornton Heath (TH). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 15RM (TC) 5RM (TH), Saturday 11RM (TC) 4RM (TH) and Sunday 8RT (TH). By September 1967 the RT type on a Sunday was back to normal routemaster operation from Thornton Heath (TH).
- On the 11th November 1967 the South Croydon allocation was withdrawn and the 64 was now only operating from Thornton Heath (TH). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 23RM, Saturday 19RM and Sunday 8RM. A couple of years later in December 1971, the 64 was converted to one person operation using DMS type buses, Thornton Heath (TH) still had the route operating from their garage. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 23DMS, Saturday 15DMS and Sunday 5DMS.
- There were no changes until the 22nd August 1987, this was quite a major change, the route was extended from Addington to New Addington replacing route 130B, the 64 was then withdrawn between West Croydon and Tooting Broadway and was diverted via London Road to Thornton Heath Garage, the last change was that the Sunday service on the 64 was withdrawn and replaced by route 264. The current route was now Thornton Heath Garage to New Addington (Via West Croydon). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 11D and Saturday 8D.
- Throughout 1988 there were a few minor changes to the routing of the 64, in May the 64 was extended Saturday shopping hours to Thornton Heath High Street and in November the 64 was re-routed via George Street and Addiscombe Road.
- On the 21st July 1990 the Saturday shopping hour’s extension, was withdrawn and a Sunday service was re-introduced again. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 11D, Saturday 8D and Sunday 5L. On the 1st September 1990 there was not much demand for a Sunday service so they decided to converted to Midi Bus operated. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 11D, Saturday 8D and Sunday 5DT.
- On the 14th March 1992 the Monday to Saturday allocated transferred back to South Croydon Garage and Thornton Heath operated the Sunday 64. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 11DD (TC), Saturday 7DD (TC) and Sunday 5DT (TH).
- On the 30th August 1997 Metrobus gained the contract of the 64 and they operated the route from their Orpington base. The Sunday allocation was now double deck and the route now operated between Thornton Heath Pond and New Addington. The current PVR was Monday to Friday 13ON, Saturday 12ON and Sunday 6ON.
- On the 19th March 2006 the 64 was transferred to operate at Croydon Garage (C). The current PVR was Monday to Friday 14SCDD, Saturday 13SCDD and Sunday 6SCDD.
- On 28th August 2010 an N64 service was introduced although this does have a slight different routing, Metrobus gained a contract extension for two years in 2014.
- On the 27th August 2016, Arriva gained the contract for the 64, operating the route from their Thornton Heath Garage using existing Enviro 400's. The current PVR is Monday to Friday 21T, Saturday 20T and Sunday 10T.