London Bus Route 198 - Shrublands - Shirley - Sandilands Tramlink - Croydon - Mayday Hospital - Thornton Heath, High Street. (7 Miles)
Operated By Arriva London
Garage: Thornton Heath TH
To View The Current Timetable Click Here
Past Timetables: Aug 2003 History:
- The 198 began on the 14th March 1992 and providing a service between Thornton Heath and Shrublands. The route was operated by Selkent at Bromley Garage (TB). The route was introduced because these changes were happening: This new route replaced Route 194B but was reallocated from TH to TB and introduced on Sundays to replace parts of Routes 119 and 194A, also increased on Mon-Sat to replace the 119 between Croydon and Thornton Heath.The duty schedule was joint up with 119 and 166 daily plus Route 161 Mon-Sat and 338 Mon-Fri. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 13T and Sunday 6T, Selkent operated the 198 by Titans.
- On the 8th November 1997 Selkent lost the contract to Arriva London South which was formerly named as Cowie South London. The 198 was now operated at Thornton Heath Garage (TH) and used Leyland Olympians. The current PVR was 13L Monday to Friday, Saturday 11L and Sunday 5L.
- In August 2003 the Leyland Olympians gradually got withdrawn due to age as part of Arriva's new contract and were by replaced by DLA buses. The current PVR was Monday to Saturday 12DLA and Sunday 5DLA.
- Arriva retained the contract for the 198 in August 2010, with a frequency increase the current PVR was Monday to Friday 12DLA, Sat 13DLA and Sunday 6DLA.
- Arriva once again retained the contract in August 2015 for the 198 and a fleet of existing Enviro 400's entered service on the 198. The current PVR is Monday to Friday 12T, Sat 13T and Sunday 6T.